LitLovers features reading guides ( including discussion questions), book reviews, author bios and plot summaries and far more besides. The site was created by Molly Lundquist, a former English instructor who “loves to read and can’t stop talking about literature.” Many thanks to Molly for including Wilful Murder in the listings for book clubs and featuring the reading guide for the book. To read the full listing please see below or to go to the LitLovers website please click here.
Wilful Murder (Alicia Allen Investigates Trilogy, 2)
Celia Conrad, 2011
The second mystery in the Alicia Allen Investigates trilogy lures the justice-loving solicitor out of London and into the shadowy depths of the Land Down Under where nothing is what it seems and a risky Trust could lead to murder.
When an Australian-born heiress living in London asks Alicia Allen to draw up a Will in expectation of her forthcoming marriage and impending English fortune, she reveals that her family members have been meeting untimely deaths. After her fiancé is killed in an explosion, and her own life is threatened, she implores Alicia to investigate. Alicia soon finds herself hot on the trail of a psychopathic killer who could be responsible for the deaths and near-deaths that continue to occur in London and Australia—or are there two psychopaths working in tandem?
Alicia’s quest takes her to Australia—coinciding with an Australian friend’s wedding in Brisbane where Alicia’s old flame Alex Waterford has also been invited. Alex, a London lawyer now working in Singapore for a British firm, confesses his love for Alicia, but events conspire to make the pursuit of justice more important than personal desires, and the duo join forces to solve the crimes.
Putting questions of love on the back burner, they put their own lives on the line as they search for the answer to the murderous mystery that lies just beneath the misleadingly placid surfaces of Probate, Wills and a Trust.
This is the second book in the Alicia Allen Investigates Trilogy. A Model Murder (2011) is the first.
Celia Conrad has composed a pastiche of cozy-cerebral murder mystery “must haves” plus a fresh blend of Travelogue, Greek Tragedy, Shakespeare and Love Story.
Dancing in the Experience Lane Book Reviews Blog
Alicia Allen in Australia may seem a cuddly, fluffy, Pringle-crunching koala, but when needed she can show both class and claws! Conrad sets any number of teasing possible outcomes in motion, and reserving some daring bait-and-switch manoeuvres for the final chapters. For much of the novel Alicia is in Australia while many of the key plot developments take place in England…yet the pace never slackens.
Ophideide, Amazon U.K. customer review
Discussion Questions - Partial List
(For all, please go to our Discussion Questions page)
1. What is your opinion of the bitter family feuds and inheritance issues as they are depicted in Wilful Murder?
2. In what ways can you relate to the concept of hostile and greedy relatives and toxic family ties?
3. Since Wilful Murder is Book 2 of the Alicia Allen Investigates Trilogy, did it strike you as a “stand-alone” mystery tale, or would you suggest readers read Book 1, A Model Murder, first? What is the reason for your answer?
4. What do you see as Alicia Allen’s strengths and weaknesses as a lawyer/detective?
5. Do you agree with Alex that Alicia’s feeling of obligation to do the best for her clients goes too far sometimes?
6. What do you think about Alicia’s on/off relationship with Alex? Why do you think Alicia pushes him away when it is evident she is so attracted to him?
Wilful Murder is currently available from:
Amazon (paperback & Kindle)
Barnes & Noble (Nook)
Contact detailsPlease contact me via the Contact Form on this Blog OR:
OR through the contact page on the Alicia Allen Investigates website.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.