Friday, April 25, 2014

Harrowing Scene from "A Model Murder"



EXTRACT FROM A MODEL MURDER:
 “Did I not make it perfectly clear to you before that there are certain matters in this firm which are no concern of yours?” He pointed his finger at me as he walked towards me, causing me to walk backwards so that I was now standing against the wall. He put his arms on the wall either side of me, so effectively I was pinned against it with him standing over me.
“Yes,” I responded, looking up at him.
“Then what the fuck are you doing asking Teresa’s secretary questions which are of no relevance to your work here?” he screamed. He was so close to me that I could smell his tobacco breath and I turned my head to the side to avoid it.
“There must be some misunderstanding,” I replied. “I’m only carrying out the work Andy left me.”
“You couldn’t leave it alone, could you, Alicia?” He was menacing. “You know what they say about people who mess with fire?” he added, taking his arms away from the wall. He reached into his right suit pocket, took out a lighter and repeatedly flicked it open and shut within millimetres of my face. “They get burned.”
I closed my eyes for a second, then opened them and swallowed hard. My heart was pounding, I felt hot and sick and I could not speak. He paused. “And we couldn’t have that happening to you, could we?”

***
Thank you, Marlan Warren, for featuring this passage from my mystery novel on your Facebook Book Publicity by Marlan page today (as the "Book del Giorno").

No comments:

Post a Comment